Monday, September 10, 2012

Buying v selling

Who doesn't like buying? The excitement of acquiring something something new creates a mild euphoria in the human species. Yet, we hate to be "sold" to: we turn off very quickly the minute we feel we are being "closed?" Why?


The difference is in "need." When I have a need, I gather information: online research, from friends and - eventually - from the offerings provider. And the one that meets my needs the best (including price, quality, service, delivery time, performance, etc.) gets the order.

"Closing," however, meets the salespersons need - to get that commission check.

Therein lies the conflict. While there is much talk about the power of relationship selling, there's no way I'm going to establish a relationship with someone whose clear purpose is to meet their needs. I enter relationships to meet my needs; once I sense these are likely to be met, I open up a bit.

If this is the case for most of us (and I think it is), shouldn't the sales person be focused on understanding my needs, rather than closing?

The successful ones do.

Client focus matters.




No comments: