Monday, November 11, 2013

Opportunity or Afterthought?

Support

How many great customer service calls can you recall? If you’re like me, you’re more likely to remember the endless prompts, being put on hold, or dealing with someone who can’t or won’t solve your problem.

How many trade shows or conferences have you returned from with a slew of unremarkable collateral? Admission: I don’t really collect a lot and mostly throw out what I do.

How many vendor capability presentations have caused you to take action? Or, as a consumer, how many unsolicited calls or emails have actually caused you to buy something? In my case, close to zero.

I once inherited an under-performing business development (cold calling) function. The sales team had hired a bright, engaging and outgoing young professional with the intent of qualifying leads and setting up sales meetings. But after six months and zero meetings, something had to change.

The reason soon became abundantly clear. This erstwhile and eager individual had received no training: not in the offering, not in the sales process and not in how to identify needs and nurture leads.

Six months completely wasted.

Support, or lack thereof, can make or break a customer relationship. Done well, and accounted for properly, it can pay for itself many times over. I willingly pay extra for a premium credit card because of the support I get – the company handles our inquiries with personnel whose sole purpose appears to make me a satisfied customer. And because of that, I almost invariably use that credit card for my purchases. Same with my bank: I maintain a high balance, initially to eliminate monthly fees, but more recently because it enables me to get through quickly to knowledgeable personnel who address my concerns promptly.

The subtitle of George Day’s must read book, The Market Driven Organization** says it all: your job is “Understanding, Attracting and Keeping Valuable Customers.”

This requires great support which, in turn, requires training.

Training is an opportunity, not an afterthought.

*Cartoon posted by Joel Leonard in a LinkedIn update
**Day, George, The Market-Driven Organization: Understanding, Attracting and Keeping Valuable Customers, Free Press, 2007

No comments: